Why would someone register a doppelgänger domain?
- wire fraud,
- impersonation of employees, or
- “phishing” to obtain sensitive information
No one is immune
What can you do?
- In general, be warry of unexpected emails. Double and triple check the URL of the sites before taking action.
- Always err on the side of caution when dealing with requests for data or funds.
- Report unusual emails or actions to your IT department immediately. Click here to report a cyber security incident to the appropriate authorities.
- Knowledge is power. Inform your clients, colleagues and associates of the risks associated with doppelgänger domains related to their own businesses and associated URLs.
This article has been prepared for the general information of our clients. Specific professional advice should be obtained prior to the implementation of any suggestion contained in this article.