Starting April 1, 2021 until March 31, 2022, incorporated businesses1 may apply for a refund of the British Columbia Provincial Sales Tax (BC PST) paid between September 17, 2020 and September 30, 2021 on “qualifying machinery and equipment.” This temporary rebate program is one of the measures introduced by the British Columbia’s Ministry of Finance to help corporations recover from the financial impacts of COVID-19 and is separate, and apart, from the regular BC PST filings.
“Qualifying machinery and equipment” are capital assets in the capital cost allowance classes 8, 10, 12, 16, 38, 43, 43.1, 43.2, 46, 50, 53, 54, and 55 as they read on September 1, 2020, that are obtained substantially (i.e., more than 90 per cent) for the purpose of gaining or producing income. PST paid on leases (both capital or operating leases) of “qualifying machinery and equipment” is also eligible.
Note that the following list of goods are particularly excluded from the rebate program:
- Boats and vehicles, other than zero-emission vehicles;
- Consumables, disposable items, real property;
- Goods purchased to be installed as an improvement to real property (other than “affixed machinery”2);
- Goods purchased for resale by a small seller; and
- Exclusive products purchased by independent sales contractors.
British Columbia’s Ministry of Finance has provided examples of each capital cost allowance class of goods that qualifies for the rebate, and further instructions regarding the rebate process on their website.
Specific professional advice should be obtained prior to the implementation of any suggestion contained in this article. Contact your Crowe Soberman advisor for more information.
2“Affixed machinery” is machinery, equipment or apparatus that is:
- used directly in the manufacture, production, processing, storage, handling, packaging, display, transportation, transmission or distribution of goods, or in the provision of software or a service, and
- affixed to, or installed in, a building, a structure or land so that it becomes part of real property.