During these unprecedented times, the Federal Government has introduced the Indigenous Community Support Fund. The Fund is intended to help Indigenous organizations and communities providing services to Indigenous peoples in urban centres or off-reserve prevent, prepare and respond to COVID-19. This Fund supports the health, safety, and well-being of First Nations, Inuit, and Metis with a commitment of $305 million to improve public health response for these Indigenous communities and provide them with the flexibility they need to address the specific needs identified by communities and their members. This funding will also provide support to regional, urban and off-reserve Indigenous organizations.
These funds could be used for measures including, but not limited to:
- support for Elders and vulnerable community members
- measures to address food insecurity
- educational and other support for children
- mental health assistance and emergency response services
- preparedness measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19
More information on the Indigenous Community Support Fund can be found here.