In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and working towards the province’s economic recovery, the Alberta Government introduced the Jobs Now program providing up to $370 million to help private and non-profit businesses with job supports to get Albertans back to work and help businesses reopen or grow their workforce.
Employers can apply for funding to offset the cost of hiring and training unemployed or underemployed Albertans in new or vacant positions.
Private sector businesses and non-profit organizations across all industries can apply for funding to reduce the costs of hiring and training unemployed or underemployed Albertans. When hiring persons with disabilities, an employer will receive 1.5 times the amount of funding.
The grant can be used to:
1. Offset salary or training costs, or both, equal to:
- 25% of a new hire’s salary up to $25,000 per employee
- 37.5% of the new hire's salary up to $37,500 per employee with a disability
2. Apply for up to 20 full-time new hires per intake period
Application Periods and Disbursement of Funding
There are three intake periods:
- Intake 1: May 20 to August 31, 2021
- Intake 2: September 15 to December 17, 2021
- Intake 3: To be announced
Please note that employees cannot apply for the grant, but are encouraged to inform potential employers of the Jobs Now program.
Payments are issued to employers in one of two ways:
1. One Payment: up to 100% of the grant is paid to the employer after new hires have been employed for 52 weeks
2. Two Payments: half of the eligible grant is paid to the employer when the new hires have been employed for three months, and the other half paid when the new hires have been employed for 52 weeks.