Insights on UAE Tax Residency Certificate

Insights on UAE Tax Residency Certificate

Insights on UAE Tax Residency Certificate


A Tax Residency Certificate (TRC) is an official document issued by the relevant Tax Authority to confirm a person's tax residence.


In the UAE, the Ministry of Finance ("MoF") is responsible for issuing a TRC, which can be issued to eligible government entities, companies, and individuals.


A TRC is necessary for claiming benefits under Double Tax Avoidance Agreements (DTAAS) to which the UAE is a signatory.

Validity: The TRC is valid only for one financial year.

Exclusion: Offshore companies are not allowed to apply for a TRC.

Natural Person


  • Passport.
  • Validated bank statement from a local UAE bank (6 months).
  • UAE residence Visa.
  • Emirates ID.
  • Certified copy of (residential). lease agreement or tenancy contract (e.g., EJARI)
  • A report from the Generate Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs or Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (ICA).
  • Source of income (e.g... salary certificate, trade. license, etc.)
  • Tax forms from the country with which the TRC has to be submitted (if any).

Eligibility Criteria

Should have been a resident of the UAE for at least 180 days.

Legal Person


  • Trade license and directors/shareholders' attachment
  • Establishment contract.
  • Passport of. owners/partners/directors
  • Emirates IDs of. owners/partners/directors
  • Certified copy of the AFS
  • Validated bank statements for 6 months from a local UAE Bank
  • Certified copy of the lease agreement
  • Permits of residence of owners/partners/directors

Eligibility Criteria

  • Must have been established for at least a year.
  • Must have an audited financial statement (FS) or FS prepared by an accredited audit firm.
  • The audited report must be certified and stamped by the audit firm and must cover the year for which the TRC is requested.

How can Crowe help?

  • Assist in assessing your eligibility for obtaining a TRC.
  • Assist in making a TRC application.
  • Liaise with FTA officials and obtain the TRC.

Contact Us

Markus Susilo
Markus Susilo
Partner- Payroll and Indirect Tax
Deepika Chandak
Deepika Chandak
Director - Global Mobility & Consulting
Alessandro Valente
Alessandro Valente
Director - International Tax Service & Transfer Pricing