VAT has long been a significant cost to providers of social housing, but recent developments may also increase the compliance burden of dealing with VAT.
Our free update will look at VAT developments in the last 18 months that affect the sector, and how providers of social housing can prepare for the changes ahead.
What we will cover
- What do organisations need to do to ensure they are compliant with Making Tax Digital in 2019?
- What is the current position on cost sharing groups, and where are we likely to end up?
- How will the new reverse charge for construction services affect the sector?
- When does design-and-build and other VAT planning need to be disclosed to HMRC under the new rules?
- Should you use your design-and-build company when you are not constructing from scratch?
- VAT issues surrounding various initiatives to encourage home ownership.
- When might you want to opt to tax your land purchase and what is the process? Recent HMRC challenges highlight the importance of submitting the forms correctly.
- Converting buildings. Recent cases on when 0% or 5% VAT can be charged.
- Payment handling services. Have you received a VAT bill recently?
- The changes we are seeing in partial exemption methods for the sector.
- Can joint ventures now join your VAT group? Changes proposed in the Finance Bill.
- Updates on temporary staff, service charges, compound interest and some other long-running litigation affecting the sector.
- How might the Office of Tax Simplification review into VAT affect housing providers?
- How is VAT predicted to change post-Brexit?
The update will also provide an excellent opportunity to network and share experiences with other housing professionals.
10:00 Update begins
12:30 Lunch and networking
13:30 Session ends
There is no cost to attend this event.
11 October 2018 - Cheltenham
17 October - Manchester
19 October - London
23 November - Norwich
For further information, please contact Adam Cutler.