Internships are a great learning opportunity to support your career path, but internships create lasting impressions and making mistakes can cost you. Follow these six tips on things to avoid:
- Don’t think you aren’t presenting just because you aren’t speaking.
- In meetings, your behavior is being observed. Avoid being on your phones, checking social media and taking your eyes off the speaker.
- Don’t be a know-it-all.
- Sit back and understand why and how the task is being done before you start giving suggestions or corrections.
- Don’t be shy.
- Part of working is networking. You are considering the firm as much as the firm is considering you so don’t be an introvert and miss out on productive conversations.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- You aren’t expected to know everything as an intern and your mentors are there to teach and help you.
- Don’t turn down a challenge, even if you think you might fail.
- Failing is a part of the learning process.
- Don’t be the big spender.
- Just because you have landed the big internship doesn’t mean it’s time for big spending. Don’t order the most expensive item on the menu at business dinners and avoid making last minute travel arrangements if you are on the road.
We hope these tips on what to avoid make your next internship a success. For information on internships at Crowe, visit our Careers site.