Last week, 282 high-achieving students from more than 100 colleges and universities across the U.S. gathered in Chicago for Learn2Lead (L2L), our national leadership program. Crowe team members from across the firm participated on-site to network and connect with students during the two-day event. Here’s an overview:
- Opening: Simon Riley (Perf/NV) kicked off the event by introducing students to the Crowe leadership team.
- Keynote speaker: Harry Kraemer, a professor of management and strategy at Northwestern University, spoke with the students about being effective leaders and provided each of them with a copy of his book "From values to action: the four principles of values-based leadership."
- LinkedIn: During registration and lunch, LinkedIn representatives were on-site to help students create or refresh their profiles and get professional headshots.
- Scavenger hunt: Using their smartphones, teams took photos and videos of various Chicago landmarks before ending the hunt at Soldier Field.
- Social: Participants enjoyed a dinner social at Soldier Field. CEO Jim Powers (Indianapolis), Chief People Officer Julie Wood (Oak Brook), Chief Operating Officer Joe Santucci (Indianapolis) and other Crowe partners and directors joined the students for dinner and networking.
- Breakfast: People Resource Network members set up tables to discuss diversity and inclusion activities with students in a casual format.
- Career paths: Jim shared his “From campus to CEO” story and answered questions from students about career paths, what it’s like to work at Crowe and the firm’s future direction.
- Keynote speaker: Suri Surinder, founder and CEO of CTR Factor & QuantumFLY and CEO of the US region for MyRequest, led a workshop on “Diversity to Inclusion.”
- Community/team-building activity: Participants worked together to build bikes, which were donated to West Town Bikes and Chicago Youth Programs. Following the build, children from Chicago Youth Programs were brought in to see their new bikes.
- Business unit (BU) panel and breakouts: Moderated by Steve Strammello (Indianapolis), the panel gave students a high-level overview of each BU. The panel was followed by breakout sessions for students to learn more about the BU of their interest.
- Professional Development: Lisa Roen (PS/OB) and Julie Wood (PS/OB) shared an overview of Crowe University and our performance management processes and walked students through interactive development activities.